[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Nov 9 01:45:09 PST 2004

I wrote:

> (2) Reader-only. MODE READER is a no-op. The client can *not* use any
> transit command (it gets 502), but can use all other commands at any time.
>
> (3) Transit-only. MODE READER is a no-op. The client can *not* use any
> reader command (it gets 502), but can use all other commands at any time.

These two should be 503 ("not supported") rather than 502 ("wrong
authority").

> (4) Switching. Initially reader commands cannot be used; they get a 401
> response. Once MODE READER has been issued, transit commands cannot be
> used; they get a 502 response.

This one *is* 502, since reconnecting makes transit commands available.

Ken writes:
> The only case which isn't addressed is a reader-only server, which
> really only effects IHAVE and I think returning a 503 solves this.

Actually, I agree with Mark here. If we're going to have core capabilities
described in LIST EXTENSIONS, let's not leave *anything* as "suck it and
see".