[NNTP] Snapshot

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Nov 9 00:43:02 PST 2004

Ken Murchison said:
> Couple of things I noticed:
>
> 8.8.1.2, 2nd paragraph, last sentence: "itand" should be "and it"

Just "it", actually. But thanks.

> C, 215:  you show "LIST" as a valid command.  Unless I missed it, we no
> longer document "LIST" as a shortcut to "LIST ACTIVE *".

You missed it. It's phrased as "If no wildmat is specified, the keyword
ACTIVE MAY be omitted without altering the effect of the command.".

> Are you using
> this as a way to capture the extensions to LIST?

Yes. Following Russ's suggestion to make LIST ACTIVE.TIMES into an
extension, the most logical approach seemed to be to have a generic LIST
extension.

> In that case maybe it
> would make more sense to just have "LIST" and nothing else, since this
> will include "LIST ACTIVE", "LIST HEADERS", etc.

The problem is that:
- we want LIST ACTIVE, LIST EXTENSIONS, and LIST NEWSGROUPS to be mandatory;
- LIST EXTENSIONS doesn't use the 215 response code;
- we want LIST HEADERS and LIST OVERVIEW.FMT to be part of their respective
  extensions, not part of a generic LIST extension;
- LIST HEADERS takes an argument other than a wildmat.

If we have a separate LIST extension, you're going to end up with these
sort of warts. I encourage everyone to look at this wording and see whether
they think it better than having optional commands that would require
separate LIST EXTENSIONS entries. I can put it back fairly easily if
necessary.

> D.[1-4], MODE READER interaction: I think Russ had agreed to changing
> the text to read:
>
> "On servers that require the use of the MODE READER command, the
> LISTGROUP command can only be used after the MODE READER command."

Still on my list, waiting for us to resolve the MODE READER issues (since
they could affect all this wording).