[NNTP] Snapshot

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Nov 8 10:49:36 PST 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> I've put a snapshot of the current text up at:
>   <http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/draft25.pre-1.txt>
>   <http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/draft25.pre-1.html>
>   <http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/draft25.pre-1.nr>
> so that people can see where we are. This includes:
> * new restrictions on command names and extension labels;
> * no optional commands any more;
> * new LIST extension;
> * consequential changes;
> * other minor fixes since draft 24.
> It does not deal with all the version number and MODE READER stuff we're
> still discussing, since that doesn't feel solid enough yet to try to word.
>
> Please could people look at the changed sections and check I haven't missed
> any consequential stuff. Thanks.

Couple of things I noticed:

8.8.1.2, 2nd paragraph, last sentence: "itand" should be "and it"

C, 215:  you show "LIST" as a valid command.  Unless I missed it, we no
longer document "LIST" as a shortcut to "LIST ACTIVE *".  Are you using
this as a way to capture the extensions to LIST?  In that case maybe it
would make more sense to just have "LIST" and nothing else, since this
will include "LIST ACTIVE", "LIST HEADERS", etc.

D.[1-4], MODE READER interaction: I think Russ had agreed to changing
the text to read:

"On servers that require the use of the MODE READER command, the
LISTGROUP command can only be used after the MODE READER command."

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127