[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sat Nov 6 01:31:50 PST 2004

On Nov 5, 2004, at 11:19 PM, Ken Murchison wrote:

> Hmm, there *may* be a more elegant way of doing this (I'd have to
> ponder it some more to see if we could transfer the current security
> layer state between processes), but OTH if nntpd negotiated a TLS
> layer and/or SASL security layer before MODE READER, nntpd could stick
> around and proxy the traffic from the client to nnrpd via stdio or a
> UNIX socket. Its brute force, but it should work.

Unfortunately, innd cannot be capable of those negotiations without
being able to parse readers.conf (in order to find out what
authentication methods are permitted for a given connection, and what
user databases should be consulted to determine success/failure).  I
can't even imagine trying to fold all of that code into innd -- a rough
estimate is that about a third to half of all of nnrpd would be
involved.  At that point, we may as well ditch MODE READER entirely, I
think.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org