[NNTP] Proposed changes to draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-02

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Nov 5 19:57:22 PST 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
>

>>I'll hold off on adding text about 403 until we hear from Andrew on
>>this.  If we don't discuss 403, I might combine your two versions into
>>something like:
>

>>"If the server encounters a temporary error that prevents it from
>>processing the article (such as disk full) but does not want to reject the
>>article, and the error is likely to affect all subsequent attempts to
>>transfer articles, it MUST reply with a 400 response to the client and
>>close the connection."
>

>>The point being that if the error only affects the given article
>>(however unlikely), closing the connection seems unfriendly.
>

> If we don't discuss 403, closing the connection is the only option the
> server has though.  Doesn't 400 require an immediate close?

Yes.

The reason I'm hesitant to document 403 (I'm now wondering why I
mentioned it) is because it seems to be a deferral code on this case and
we've already decided that they don't make sense after the server
receives the article.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127