[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Nov 5 17:48:29 PST 2004

Well, then, I guess that it comes to whether more harm is caused by having
to change:

  . a configuration (installed on a handful of sites at most) of one
    server implementation,

  . break until changed every client based upon the c-client library (most
    notably Pine -- we're talking about at least tens of thousands if not
    hundreds of thousands of separate implementations -- as well as break
    the fixed version of these clients against Diablo servers.

I agree that the choice is not unpalatable, and it would have been better
if we could have avoided it.  But we didn't, and so we're screwed now.

If it helps matters, I would agree to a separate AUTHINFO/STARTLS command
for clients vs. peers in return for the deprecation of MODE READER
(replacing it with a no-op and servers MUST NOT require).

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.