[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Nov 5 15:50:03 PST 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:
> OK.  Assuming that we're sticking with
>    MODE READER
>    STARTTLS
>    AUTHINFO
> I will fix the STARTTLS and AUTHINFO docs to state:
> "On servers that require the use of the MODE READER command, the
> STARTTLS/AUTHINFO command can only be used after the MODE READER command."

I have a problem with that choice.

The effect is to break tens (hundreds?) of thousands of deployed Pine
clients (and other clients based upon the c-client library), and some
unknown number of Diablo servers.

My impression is that most inn servers will *not* be broken if we choose:
 	STARTTLS
 	AUTHINFO
 	MODE READER
Indeed, even though many people use inn servers with Pine, *nobody* has
complained about Pine having this order.

How many inn servers would be broken?  Just a handful?  Wouldn't it be
easier to fix those handful of inn servers?

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.