[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Nov 5 15:47:07 PST 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Mark Crispin <MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU> writes:
>

>>Well, then, we have the worst-case situation.
>

>>Some servers require MODE READER first, and some other servers require
>>AUTHINFO first.
>

> I think the situation is not actually as bad as that, as I believe Diablo
> doesn't require MODE READER at all (just "helpfully" returns 480 if you
> happen to use it before you're authenticated).  They're equivalently bad
> from a client writer's standpoint, but it means that it should be very
> easy to get Diablo fixed; it's probably just one line of code.
>

>>I respectfully submit that this situation is unacceptable from the
>>viewpoint of a client author.  NNTPv2 should rule and either determine
>>One True Order, or declare that the order is totally dependent upon the
>>client.
>

> I certainly agree with you.  I think we can declare one true order.

OK.  Assuming that we're sticking with

     MODE READER
     STARTTLS
     AUTHINFO

I will fix the STARTTLS and AUTHINFO docs to state:

"On servers that require the use of the MODE READER command, the
STARTTLS/AUTHINFO command can only be used after the MODE READER command."

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127