[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Nov 5 15:11:27 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I'm not sure how
> long this will continue to be viable, particularly for protecting posting,
> but my experience with helping people install INN is that this is what the
> significant majority of INN installations use.

I suspect that you and I are loudly agreeing.

> I don't expect anyone to be convinced that session hijacking is a real
> problem until spammers start doing it on a broad basis.  This is one of
> those things that is likely to require negative things to happen in
> practice before installation configurations will change.

I fear that you're right on this point.  On the other hand, the fact that
the right thing isn't taken seriously today doesn't mean that we should
stop saying it.  Otherwise, when the problem *does* start happening, we're
going to need a new working group to devise the standards to react to it.

Proactive is always better than reactive.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.