[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 4 20:38:14 PST 2004

"Andrew - Supernews" <andrew at supernews.net> writes:

> Traditionally, reader-only servers have responded with 480 to IHAVE,
> though that's slightly misleading since no possible authentication could
> make the command available. We return 502 at the moment. It's mostly a
> non-issue precisely because reader clients don't use it.

Note that INN optionally allows IHAVE via the reader-only server due to
constant demand for the feature complete with provided patches from server
administrators who had to implement it.  I believe the primary motivation
was support for Microsoft products that wanted to pull news with NEWNEWS
and send it back with IHAVE.