[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Thu Nov 4 16:35:08 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Andrew - Supernews wrote:
> This will fail on INN in those few cases where MODE READER is actually
> needed (rather than being a no-op) and where authentication (or TLS)
> is also required. However, I think you'll be hard-pressed to find such
> a case other than by setting it up explicitly.  (In most of the few
> cases where MODE READER is needed, authentication would be pointless.)

In that case, I think that it is safe to say that such cases don't exist
and *won't exist* in NNTPv2.

> In the case where you actually need MODE READER, some AUTHINFO
> commands will work before MODE READER is used but the results will
> be thrown away once you're talking to nnrpd rather than innd.

Remember that we are documenting NNTPv2.  This would be something that
would have to be fixed in inn before it can advertise itself as being
NNTPv2 compliant.  Fortunately, it seems that the fix affect few if any
deployed sites.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.