[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Andrew - Supernews andrew at supernews.net
Thu Nov 4 13:42:56 PST 2004

 Mark> My released client code implements this order, which works on
 Mark> every NNTP server that I tested:
 Mark>  	STARTTLS (if needed - note that plaintext password authentication
 Mark>  		  requires TLS)
 Mark>  	AUTHINFO (if needed)
 Mark>  	MODE READER

This will fail on INN in those few cases where MODE READER is actually
needed (rather than being a no-op) and where authentication (or TLS)
is also required. However, I think you'll be hard-pressed to find such
a case other than by setting it up explicitly.  (In most of the few
cases where MODE READER is needed, authentication would be pointless.)

 Mark> To re-confirm, I just verified on an inn server that inn *does*
 Mark> allow AUTHINFO before MODE READER.

This is only true when the MODE READER was never necessary in the
first place (which as I said before is the most common case by far).

In the case where you actually need MODE READER, some AUTHINFO
commands will work before MODE READER is used but the results will
be thrown away once you're talking to nnrpd rather than innd.

If you want to test it, you need to arrange to have transfer as well
as reader access to the INN server you're testing against.

 Mark> I also determined that Supernews' NNTP server allows AUTHINFO
 Mark> before MODE READER.

MODE READER is a no-op on our server.

--
Andrew, Supernews