[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Thu Nov 4 13:20:12 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:
> The intent of the statement is to allow servers to decide whether to permit
> AUTHINFO before and/or after MODE READER.

That is an extremely bad design (to put it mildly).

> You're looking from the client's perspective in which the statement seems to
> say that the client can use AUTHINFO whenever it feels like it.

That is the only reasonable interpretation of:
 	The AUTHINFO commands can be used before or after the MODE READER
 	command, with the same semantics.

> But as long
> as INN doesn't advertise AUTHINFO before MODE READER, doesn't this solve the
> problem?

At the cost of considerable client complexity, which will get worse if
authentication is required for peers as well as clients.

As a client author, I vehemently object to allowing the server to dictate
the order of a protocol sequence.  In EVERY well-designed protocol, the
protocol sequence is dictated first by the specification, and then by the
client.

> Do you have any suggested text which might clarify this?

Yes.  Do not give the server the option of imposing an order on the
client.  Either leave the order as random (under client direction), or
impose One True Order and *prohibit* all other orders.

My released client code implements this order, which works on every NNTP
server that I tested:
 	STARTTLS (if needed - note that plaintext password authentication
 		  requires TLS)
 	AUTHINFO (if needed)
 	MODE READER

To re-confirm, I just verified on an inn server that inn *does* allow
AUTHINFO before MODE READER.  I also determined that Supernews' NNTP
server allows AUTHINFO before MODE READER.

Perhaps there are clients which implement a different order.  If so, then
the *only* choice is to require that servers MUST allow either order.

Life's tough if you're in the server business.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.