[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Andrew - Supernews andrew at supernews.net
Thu Nov 4 12:51:21 PST 2004

 >> I'll address your other points separately, but I'll repeat this
 >> question since you failed to answer it:

 >> Let me ask you this question. What would you say is a typical
 >> range for peak (or 95-percentile) traffic in megabits/sec (client
 >> -> server and server -> client combined) for a large POP3 or IMAP
 >> installation?

 Mark> Even if I had an answer for this question, it is irrelevant for
 Mark> the discussion at hand.

It's relevent, but the reasons for that may not become clear unless you
answer the question.

 Mark> If a facility's lack of security is used to enable a major
 Mark> attack, the number of megabits/second without security ceases
 Mark> to be relevant.  The facility will do what is necessary to
 Mark> ameliorate the attack.

I don't think you really understand the threat model that applies to
much of the common usage of NNTP.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com