[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Thu Nov 4 12:11:59 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:
>>> If there is text in AUTHINFO which either explicitly or implicitly states
>>> that MODE READER can't be used before authentication, please point it out
>>> so I can fix it.  This certainly wasn't the intent of the document.
>> There is text in AUTHINFO which states that authentication can be used
>> before MODE READER.
> Right, it says:
> "The AUTHINFO commands can be used before or after the MODE READER
> command, with the same semantics."
> It doesn't say that AUTHINFO MUST be used prior to mode reader.  How is INN
> non-compliant?  Maybe I'm being thick.

The statement:

is non-complaint with:

> "The AUTHINFO commands can be used before or after the MODE READER
> command, with the same semantics."

You're thinking about the other case, which is of a server which issues a
480 to MODE READER, which was the (2) example of server handling of mode
reader.  AUTHINFO seems to prohibit this behavior as well as inn's
behavior.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.