[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Thu Nov 4 12:01:53 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Andrew - Supernews wrote:
> I'll address your other points separately, but I'll repeat this
> question since you failed to answer it:
> Let me ask you this question. What would you say is a typical range
> for peak (or 95-percentile) traffic in megabits/sec (client -> server
> and server -> client combined) for a large POP3 or IMAP installation?

Even if I had an answer for this question, it is irrelevant for the
discussion at hand.

If a facility's lack of security is used to enable a major attack, the
number of megabits/second without security ceases to be relevant.  The
facility will do what is necessary to ameliorate the attack.

You are not the only person to squawk about the overhead of TLS.  The cell
phone providers also vigorously object; currently use of TLS cuts battery
time in half.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.