[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Andrew - Supernews andrew at supernews.net
Thu Nov 4 11:18:08 PST 2004

 Mark> 2) MODE READER is required, but you must authenticate before
 Mark> you can do any reading.  The extension for MODE READER is not
 Mark> listed until after authentication.

 >> That's backwards. Where MODE READER is required, it has to come
 >> _before_ authentication (or TLS). I should have spotted that error
 >> in your previous post.

 Mark> That is *not* (repeat, NOT!!) the case in implementations today.

 Mark> I have encountered multiple server implementations which do NOT
 Mark> (repeat, NOT) permit MODE READER until after authentication is
 Mark> negotiated.

Interesting. Do you have data on what implementations those are?
Because INN certainly doesn't allow authentication to happen before a
_required_ MODE READER, so either you're seeing this from non-INN
implementations (in which case MODE READER isn't just a
one-implementation artifact) or you're confusing the (rare) required
use of MODE READER with the no-op implementation.

Traces of actual conversations would be useful.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com