[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Thu Nov 4 11:07:42 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Andrew - Supernews wrote:
> Mark> 1) MODE READER isn't required
> This is, by far, the most common case.

Excellent.

> Mark> 2) MODE READER is required, but you must authenticate before
> Mark> you can do any reading.  The extension for MODE READER is not
> Mark> listed until after authentication.
> That's backwards. Where MODE READER is required, it has to come
> _before_ authentication (or TLS). I should have spotted that error in
> your previous post.

That is *not* (repeat, NOT!!) the case in implementations today.

I have encountered multiple server implementations which do NOT (repeat,
NOT) permit MODE READER until after authentication is negotiated.

If you are seriously advocating requiring MODE READER before
authentication, then in effect you are declaring these deployed servers as
being non-compliant.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.