[NNTP] Capabilities in responses (Was: MODE READER)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Nov 2 12:49:22 PST 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Mark Crispin said:
>
>>Better would be something like the following, which uses an IMAP-like
>>mechanism to carry capabilities in responses, and flushes MODE READER:
>>
>>	S: 200 [STARTTLS] NNTP server, negotiate TLS now
>

> I'm still thinking on this. As I said before, it isn't compatible with NNTP
> as currently specified but that's not irretrievable.

I'm not sure why this would be incompatible.  Obviously the ABNF would
have to change to accomodate this, but from a client perspective it
wouldn't be a big deal.  For a client which handles this, it parses the
contents of "[ ... ]", otherwise, it looks just like trailing-comment.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127