[ietf-nntp] Re: XOVER 420 response

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu May 27 13:49:04 PDT 2004

Mark Carrington <mark.carrington at mutantpenguin.co.uk> writes:

> It does say, however, that it should return 423 if the argument is a
> range.

Correct.  That's what you should do going forward, I believe; that's what
INN will be changed to do.  There was a fair bit of discussion about this
in the working group, and it was decided that it was best to distinguish
for HDR between the case where the article wasn't found and the case where
the article was found but didn't contain the header.  OVER was then made
consistent with HDR.

> The new draft does seem slightly inconsistent in the result codes it
> specifies for different arguments. It states that 420 should be returned
> if a message-id was specified, and 423 if a range was specified. But one
> of the examples shows a single message number being specified
> (presumably a single number is counted as a range), and 420 being
> returned.

The example is wrong; I'll drop a note to the group.  Note that the
examples are not normative; the text overrides.  But we'll still fix
that.

          Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.