[ietf-nntp] Re: SASL capability

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed May 26 04:38:43 PDT 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
>

>>As I said before, I don't like it - I see no point in repeating the SASL
>>time and time again. DIGEST-MD5 etc. are sub-types of SASL; the words
>>should each match a type of AUTHINFO, with all the sub-types being
>>attached to that word. So:
>

>>    AUTHINFO USER SASL:DIGEST-MD5,EXTERNAL PAPER:FBI,CIA,MI5
>

>>But at the end of the day it's not the most important topic to decide.
>

> I don't have a strong opinion and am willing to go with whatever people
> want,

Right now "people"is the three of us.  ;)

 > although I think either this one or the one with SASL prepended is
> best, since this one uses colons and commas and therefore one may be able
> to reuse some of the low-level parsers one already has to write in news
> software.

Can we get some other opinions on this?  The two choices on the table are:

AUTHINFO USER SASL:DIGEST-MD5,EXTERNAL

AUTHINFO USER SASL=DIGEST-MD5 SASL=EXTERNAL

In lieu of other opinions, I'm going to move forward with SASL: since
Clive has voiced the only semi-strong opinion either way.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127