[ietf-nntp] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-00.txt

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed May 26 04:24:56 PDT 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

>>But I'm not going to argue too strongly against
>>this and I'll just use "383 =" as an empty challenge.
>

> Query: would "383 ====" be better, so that base64 parsers can always grab a
> 4-character chunk? [Ditto elsewhere.]

Neither "=" nor "====" are valid base64, so the length doesn't matter.
The idea is that the protocol parser would trap this before blindly
passing it onto the base64 decoder.  Since "=" is documented as an empty
initial response in SMTP, POP3 and IMAP, I'd rather stick with it for NNTP.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127