[ietf-nntp] RE: How to organize the base NNTP draft

Scott Hollenbeck sah at 428cobrajet.net
Thu May 20 09:37:37 PDT 2004

> A possibility: can "document" be reasonably interpreted as
> "two RFCs, split
> for convenience"? Rather like MIME is four RFCs and IDNA is three. Is
> anyone really likely to object?

I don't think "document" can be interpreted as a plural in this context.
What's expected is described in the first charter deliverable:

"1. Revise and publish a standards-track successor to RFC 977 that
  removes ambiguities from the original document, defines a mechanism
  for adding extensions to the protocol, and provides a mechanism for
  the server to inform the client of the extensions which it
  supports."

That sounds like a single document to me.  The IESG is likely to object if
the WG strays from its charter since this topic has already come up during
the discussion of the base document.

Revising the charter is also a possibility, but that would also take time.

-Scott-