[ietf-nntp] Re: AUTHINFO/SASL responses

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon May 17 07:46:34 PDT 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> 481 would indicate a temporary failure with authentication, implying that
> the client should try the same username and password again.  Is that what
> you mean?  Under what circumstances would one use that?

If the user typed his/her password incorrectly.  If the server didn't
have the mechanism-specific credentials for the user.

> I think we should define a new return code following the above proposal.
> That sounds fine to me, and I'd rather keep 281 as the success code for
> old-style authentication anyway.  SASL authentication is sufficiently
> different that I think it's fine to have a separate return code.

OK, I'm going to stick with what we currently have:

281 -> success with no data
283 <base64> -> success with data

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127