[ietf-nntp] OT: Handling 400 response between NNTP peering servers

Nick Brandon maillist at css-uk.net
Wed May 12 15:51:22 PDT 2004

Is there a consensus on how client-server nntp peers handle the 400
response. From "draft-ietf-nntpext-base-22", I understand that the server
can issue this response if it needs to terminate the TCP connection.

Should the client peer wait a random time (say between 1 - 60 seconds) and
try to reconnect as demonstrated below?

  [C] IHAVE   <message.id at example.com>
  [S] 400 Temporarily unavailable
  (Server closes connection)
  (Client waits 10 seconds, resolves the server address and tries to
reconnect)

Should there be a "good practice" example included within the NNTP protocol?

I would be interested to hear how existing NNTP software implements this
response.

Many Thanks

Nick Brandon
CSS