[ietf-nntp] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-01.txt

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Mar 10 02:58:43 PST 2004

Okay, a critique of this one.

Section 2: why is there a suggestion that LIST EXTENSIONS might stop
advertising the extension once MODE STREAM has been used? This feels
completely wrong to me.

Section 3.1: a 500 response doesn't conform to [NNTP]. Since your
description only applies to implementations providing the extension, I
would just drop the whole reference to 500 and 501 (but see below).

Section 3.2: given the "MUST NOT be pipelined" in 3.1, there's no need
to explicitly mention pipelining here.

Section 3.2: I don't understand the reason for this command at all, let
alone why it can't be pipelined. Why can't a client just start issuing
CHECK and TAKETHIS commands immediately after the initial connection?
If there is some technical reason for either requiring the command at all,
or for making it non-pipelined, you need to give it.

Section 4.1: delete the "MAY send additional text" sentence, since this is
a requirement of [NNTP]. Ditto section 5.1.

Section 5.1: what's the meaning of the 439 response? Does it indicate a
technical failure (so the client should retry later) or is it a "I didn't
want that"? The point of response codes is that they tell the client what
further action to take. I would suggest:
  239 - I got it successfully, thanks
  431 - I can't handle it right now, try again later
  438 - I got it and I've deliberately thrown it away
  439 - Temporary failure, please send it again ASAP.

Section 6: delete the reference to the core rules of [ABNF], and replace by
a reference to section 13 of [NNTP] (rather than having the comment at the
end). "STREAM" is missing the closing quote.

Section 7: I suggest a formal section like that in [NNTP] appendix D.

Section 10: note that we're up to draft 21.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646