[ietf-nntp] Fwd: New NNTP standard in Working Group Last Call

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Mar 18 04:19:15 PST 2004

Charles Lindsey said:
>> I wouldn't have a problem with making it a MAY. No server would have to
>> change unless the author wants. A client can't rely on it, but can use
>> it if the number is provided.

> Looks like a Kludge to me. Leave it as it is. Simplicity and consistency
> is what counts

I disagree.

The 0 is purely a placeholder to make it easier to parse the response.
It doesn't provide simplicity or anything else other than syntacticly.
Had the original NNTP used two different response codes instead, we'd never
have had the issue in the first place.

Allowing - but not requiring - the server to return the article number
adds choice without harming any existing implementation.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646