[ietf-nntp] news: and nntp: URLs

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 11 19:30:54 PST 2004

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

> Back in October there was a brief flurry of messages concerning I-D
> draft-hoffman-rfc1738bis-01, which talked about the news and nntp URL
> schemes. Before that, there was draft-gilman-news-url-02, which expired
> many years ago. I think the one consensus we had was that both were
> wrong and that we needed a new document specifically for news URLs.

> Now we have the main document just about out of the way, would this be a
> good time to take up this work? I'm happy to write/edit the document,
> and to liase with the URL working group, but do we need a formal mandate
> from anyone to do so?

Our charter says that following presentation of the base document, we
should provide a list of extensions that need work.  My expectation is
that this working group will be disbanded, but then a new working group
will be formed for discussing NNTP extensions and enhancements to the
protocol.

The URL syntax probably fits best into that working group, but certainly I
wouldn't discourage anyone from starting work on it if they have free
time.  I can't imagine how it would hurt.