[ietf-nntp] draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-01.txt

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Mar 10 04:36:14 PST 2004

Charles Lindsey wrote:

> In <404DFF0A.6080804 at oceana.com> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
>

>>I agree completely.  If I don't need all of my traffic encrypted, but
>>want secure authentication, I would choose CRAM-MD5 or DIGEST-MD5.  I
>>don't *believe* anyone is arguing this point.  The upcoming AUTHINFO
>>SASL draft will allow CRAM-MD5 and any other SASL mechanism to be used
>>by NNTP.  The Cyrus NNTP server already supports all mechanism provided
>>by the CMU SASL library.
>

> OK, if there is a draft in progress, then I am happy. Just curious as to
> why there is no sight of that activity on this list.

I believe the author is waiting for the base draft and STARTTLS draft to
settle down before publishing it.  However, given the current
discussion, and the fact that SASL and TLS are *somewhat* related,
perhaps it should be discussed sooner rather than later.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127