[ietf-nntp] draft21.pre-2

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Mar 5 08:06:10 PST 2004

Section 8.5.1.2 says:

"Support for the first (message-id) form is optional. If it is not
supported, the generic response code 503 MUST be returned."

I have no problem with this, but I wonder why we don't have a capability
to announce this as well.  I know we discussed this before, and in fact
I may have said previously that it wasn't necessary, but I can't think
of any reason why we wouldn't want to add a MSGID keyword to the OVER
capability for the case where the implementation supports it.  If MSGID
is not present with the OVER the capability, then the implementation
only supports OVER by range.

So the examples would look something like this:

    Example of a successful retrieval of overview information for an
    article by message-id:

       [C] LIST EXTENSIONS
       [S] 202 Extensions supported:
       [S] OVER MSGID
       [S] .
       [C] OVER   <45223423 at example.com>
       [S] 224 Overview information follows
       [S] 0|I am just a test article|"Demo User"
       <nobody at example.com>|6 Oct 1998 04:38:40 -0500|
       <45223423 at example.com>|<45454 at example.net>|1234|
       17|Xref: news.example.com misc.test:3000363
       [S] .

    Note that the article number has been replaced by "0".

    Example of the same command on a system that does not implement
    retrieval by message-id:

       [C] LIST EXTENSIONS
       [S] 202 Extensions supported:
       [S] OVER
       [S] .
       [C] OVER   <45223423 at example.com>
       [S] 503 Overview by message-id unsupported

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127