[ietf-nntp] LIST HEADERS

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Mar 4 00:26:41 PST 2004

Russ Allbery said:
>> Since we have already come up with a way to represent "all headers" in
>> the LIST HEADERS output, I'm in favor of adopting the KISS principal and
>> removing the extra keywords from the HDR capability.  I originally
>> proposed the ALL keyword before we had come up with a bare ":" to
>> represent "all headers" and before we had to have the range vs. msgid
>> split.  Removing the extra cruft from the HDR capability and leaving the
>> complexity in LIST HEADERS seems like a cleaner solution to me.
>
> This is also fine with me, and has the substantial benefit of simplicity,
> so I think this is slightly better than the current text (reversing my
> message from just a moment ago -- sorry about that).  I'm fine with either
> approach, though.

Okay, so I'm going to remove the concept of an argument from the HDR
extension (which means we're back to having no extensions with arguments in
LIST EXTENSIONS) and use the text for LIST HEADERS with MSGID and RANGE
arguments. Sorted.

>> Again, without any input from client authors, we may be making things
>> too complex.  Do we even know if clients care to fetch headers (or
>> overview) by msgid?
>
> Retrieving overview by msgid is something that people have asked for on
> news.software.nntp in combination with NEWNEWS feeds.  I don't know of a
> specific request for HDR retrieval by msgid.

We've been round this loop at least twice; let's just leave it as is.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646