[ietf-nntp] :bytes metadata

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Mar 3 23:23:28 PST 2004

Russ Allbery said:
> Oh, I absolutely agree that it's annoying to have under-specified
> features, but one of the goals for OVER was to make it really easy for
> existing implementations to also implement.  If we make it too hard for
> clusters to implement, it will defeat a lot of the point.
>
> It's definitely not ideal.  I agree that we should encourage servers to
> make it an accurate byte count.  I just don't think that we can require it
> or tell clients that they can rely on it.

I've left it as SHOULD be the correct value, with the notes on why it might
be wrong. There doesn't seem any point in doing more than that.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646