[ietf-nntp] LIST HEADERS

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 3 22:54:36 PST 2004

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

> Since we have already come up with a way to represent "all headers" in
> the LIST HEADERS output, I'm in favor of adopting the KISS principal and
> removing the extra keywords from the HDR capability.  I originally
> proposed the ALL keyword before we had come up with a bare ":" to
> represent "all headers" and before we had to have the range vs. msgid
> split.  Removing the extra cruft from the HDR capability and leaving the
> complexity in LIST HEADERS seems like a cleaner solution to me.

This is also fine with me, and has the substantial benefit of simplicity,
so I think this is slightly better than the current text (reversing my
message from just a moment ago -- sorry about that).  I'm fine with either
approach, though.

> Again, without any input from client authors, we may be making things
> too complex.  Do we even know if clients care to fetch headers (or
> overview) by msgid?

Retrieving overview by msgid is something that people have asked for on
news.software.nntp in combination with NEWNEWS feeds.  I don't know of a
specific request for HDR retrieval by msgid.