[ietf-nntp] AUTHINFO draft 01

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Wed Jun 30 03:34:55 PDT 2004

In <20040629145023.GO96881 at finch-staff-1.thus.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>This reminds me. The meaning of 3xx response codes has traditionally (SMTP,
>POST, IHAVE) been "you now need to send me more material as part of this
>command". For AUTHINFO USER, 382 is being used to mean "you need to invoke
>another command now". I don't think this meets the letter of:

>      3xx - Command OK so far; send the rest of it.

>and I'm sure it doesn't meet the spirit. I can see two fixes:
>(1) Replace the 382 response with a 2xx code.
>(2) Define AUTHINFO PASS as being continuation text to AUTHINFO USER,
>rather than as a separate command.

I think (2) is best. Surely an AUTHINFO PASS on its own, not (immediately)
preceded by any AUTHINFO USER is a nonsense, and (2) would eliminate the
possibility.

>Russ: I can't recall; does the base document require text pointing at the
>AUTHINFO and TLSSTART documents?

It would be desirable if it is expected that all three are to be published
around the same time. The RFC-Editor should be able to fix it up (with a
little prompting from Clive), and if it turns out that one of the
documents has to be delayed for some reason, then the pointer can always
be taken out.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.