[ietf-nntp] Extension documents

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 11 09:31:12 PDT 2004

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery said:

>> Do we really need that last sentence?

> It comes from section 8.2 of the base document, and has been there for
> some while. The thinking was, I believe, to prevent a server
> implementing LIST OVERVIEW.FMT without the whole OVER extension.

Note that there are going to be a lot of servers in exactly that situation
when we release the standard, since we didn't rename LIST OVERVIEW.FMT to
something new.

> Hmm. That's a good point, but it means we need to revisit the text in
> 8.2 and decide what our requirements are.

I guess the root question is whether there's a need to place a restriction
on what commands a server implements other than the standard "if you're
not following some document intended for standards publication, the
command should start with X".

If clients start running random commands without LIST EXTENSIONS
information to support their efforts, they may or may not get what they
expect, and I think that's fine.