[ietf-nntp] Re: XOVER 420 response

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Jun 11 00:02:10 PDT 2004

Damn, overlooked this.

Russ Allbery said:
>> The new draft does seem slightly inconsistent in the result codes it
>> specifies for different arguments. It states that 420 should be returned
>> if a message-id was specified, and 423 if a range was specified. But one
>> of the examples shows a single message number being specified
>> (presumably a single number is counted as a range), and 420 being
>> returned.
>
> The example is wrong; I'll drop a note to the group.  Note that the
> examples are not normative; the text overrides.  But we'll still fix
> that.

You're talking about the OVER example third from the end, the first of
the two with a 420, right?

Yes, that example is wrong. The codes should be consistently:
  420  - no article number specified and current selected article number
         is invalid (e.g. empty group)
  423  - specified article number doesn't exist or specified range is empty
  430  - specified message-id doesn't exist