[ietf-nntp] Extension documents

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 8 12:08:21 PDT 2004

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

>     If the server provides this extension, it MUST implement all of the
>     commands in this document except for those marked as optional. If it
>     does not provide this extension, it MUST NOT implement any of the
>     commands.

Do we really need that last sentence?  I'm thinking of a situation where a
server author has started an experimental implementation of an extension,
but it's currently still buggy and probably shouldn't be used by general
clients.  I can see just not advertising it in LIST EXTENSIONS so that
clients that do extension discovery won't suddenly start using it, but
having it there under the standard command name so that people can do
testing with standard NNTP libraries and tools.