[ietf-nntp] RE: How to organize the base NNTP draft

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Jun 8 08:20:26 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison said:
>> I'm revisiting the ABNF in the core document in response to your query the
>> other day. Hopefully I will have something for you later.

Have a look at the draft 23 pre 3 I've just posted.

> Great.  FWIW, here's what the POP3 AUTH command grammar looks like (SMTP
> AUTH is similar):
>
> 	auth_command	= "AUTH" SPACE auth_type [SPACE (base64 / "=")]
> 			  *(CRLF [base64]) CRLF
[...]

What you'll need is:

    command /= authinfo-user-command
        / authinfo-pass-command
        / authinfo-sasl-command

    authinfo-user-command = "AUTHINFO" WS "USER" WS username
    authinfo-pass-command = "AUTHINFO" WS "PASS" WS password
    authinfo-sasl-command =
        "AUTHINFO" WS "SASL" WS mechanism [WS initial-response]

    username = 1*P-CHAR
    password = 1*P-CHAR
    mechanism = 1*P-CHAR
    initial-response = ("=" / base64-string)

and:

    command-continuation /= authinfo-sasl-continuation

    authinfo-sasl-continuation = ("*" / "=" / base64-string) CRLF

> I think what we
> need is for the initial line of a multi-part command to end with EOL,
> and any subsequent lines end with CRLF.

The above would do that.

See also the message I am about to send.