[ietf-nntp] AUTHINFO draft 01

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Jul 11 06:22:45 PDT 2004

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:
> > Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
>
> >> 5: I don't believe that it's appropriate to say that an identity looks
> >> like an email address, particularly since the concept isn't used
> >> anywhere in this document. At most you need just the last paragraph, but
> >> the rest better belongs in [USEFOR].
>
> > Agreed.  I wouldn't try to be at all precise about what authentication
> > identities look like; it's going to depend on the server and on the
> > desires of the local administrator.
>
> It occurs to me that I'm probably dithering on this.  Jeff, do you
> remember the history here and why it was included in the first place?
> (I'm not sure that it's actually going to hurt anything, although Clive
> has a valid point that NNTP does not elsewhere use the concept of an
> e-mail address.)

This is all based on Chris Newman's original text.  I think Chris likes to
give best practice advice, and was probably basing the wording to some
extent on the kind of logging that INN does.  We've gone back and forth of
late over how much best practice content to include, and how directive vs
advisory it should be.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org