[ietf-nntp] :bytes metadata

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Jan 26 06:52:40 PST 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> What I've currently got, *knowing* that it's insufficient, is:
>
>     The :bytes metadata item for an article is a decimal integer.  It
>     SHOULD equal the number of octets in the entire article - headers,
>     body, and separating empty line (counting a CRLF pair as two octets,
>     and not including either the "." CRLF terminating the response nor
>     any "." added for "byte-stuffing" purposes).

I like the paragraph above.  How about adding something like:

"The value MAY be greater than the number of octets in the article (the
wire format size, for instance), but MUST NOT be less than the actual
number of octets, as described above."

This essentially states that :bytes is an upper (not to exceed) bound.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127