[ietf-nntp] Wildmat syntax

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Jan 21 11:26:03 PST 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>>I don't believe it will work with LIST ACTIVE for any version prior to INN
>>>2.4.0.
>>
>>OK.  I would imagine that there is little to no deployment of server
>>software which currently supports this (INN or otherwise), correct?
>

> However, we agreed back when we were doing wildmats that it was worth being
> consistent throughout; it should require little or no server effort to do
> so.

Agreed.  My server does it, but I was asking about current deployment
for the purposes of writing a client.  How is a client supposed to
determine if it can do:

LIST ACTIVE wmat1,wmat2

or it must do:

LIST ACTIVE wmat1
LIST ACTIVE wmat2

I suppose if the server supports LIST EXTENSIONS, then its a good bet
that the client can do the former, otherwise it needs to do the latter.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127