[ietf-nntp] Wildmat syntax

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Jan 21 07:31:54 PST 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
>

>>Do any current servers support comma-separated wildmat patterns or is
>>this a new construct added by the draft? I wrote a small "fetchnews"
>>utility as part of Cyrus which sucks news in client-mode using either
>>NEWNEWS or keeping track of high water marks, and this syntax works with
>>neither NEWNEWS nor LIST ACTIVE on INN 2.3.4 (the current version of INN
>>shipping with Redhat 9).
>

> It should definitely work with NEWNEWS on INN 2.3.4.  I just looked at the
> source code to make sure.

Yeah, my bad.  I took someone else's word that this didn't work.  I just
tested, and its fine.

> I don't believe it will work with LIST ACTIVE for any version prior to INN
> 2.4.0.

OK.  I would imagine that there is little to no deployment of server
software which currently supports this (INN or otherwise), correct?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127