[NNTP] [2501] Reader commands in transit servers and vice-versa

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Dec 7 10:43:55 PST 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
>
>>Andrew - Supernews wrote:
>

>>>You can make a good argument that even in that list, HEAD, STAT and
>>>LIST ACTIVE don't belong. In fact a majority of transit-only
>>>implementations don't implement at least one of those.
>

>>This list is based on the fact that they are all listed as "general"
>>commands in the current pre4 draft.  I make no claims as to their
>>correctness, but I recall discussion that they are used by some feeding
>>clients/servers.
>

> HEAD and STAT are pretty much only for debugging purposes; they don't
> actually have a protocol purpose between transit servers.

So, I guess in my current line of thinking, these would be "reader"
commands (only *guaranteed* to be implemented when READER is
advertised), and if some sites decide to implement them for transit
servers, they would be unadvertised.

We *could* add some protocol cruft to allow:

[C] CAPABILITIES
[S] VERSION 2
[S] IHAVE
[S] STAT MSGID
[S] HEAD MSGID
[S] LIST ACTIVE
[S] .

OR

[C] CAPABILITIES
[S] VERSION 2
[S] TRANSIT DEBUG
[S] .

But that seems like too much effort just to advertise a debugging config.

> LIST ACTIVE is
> used sometimes to build feed patterns, but Andrew's correct that some
> transit servers have no concept of it.

Hopefully this will be superceded by a "real" feed control extension.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127