[NNTP] [2501] Reader commands in transit servers and vice-versa

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Dec 7 09:43:09 PST 2004

Andrew - Supernews wrote:

>  Ken> Having digested this weekend's posts, here's my current
>  Ken> thinking.
>
>  Ken> - We have a set of mandatory "core" commands which *all* servers
>  Ken> MUST implement.  The set of "core" commands is defined by the
>  Ken> VERSION capability and as of VERSION 2, these are: CAPABILITIES,
>  Ken> QUIT, HEAD, STAT, LIST ACTIVE
>
> You can make a good argument that even in that list, HEAD, STAT and
> LIST ACTIVE don't belong. In fact a majority of transit-only
> implementations don't implement at least one of those.

This list is based on the fact that they are all listed as "general"
commands in the current pre4 draft.  I make no claims as to their
correctness, but I recall discussion that they are used by some feeding
clients/servers.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127