[NNTP] [2501] Reader commands in transit servers and vice-versa

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Mon Dec 6 07:56:35 PST 2004

In <87hdn1e85g.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Charles Lindsey <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> writes:
>> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>>> I've never heard of such a beast.  I haven't ever done an exhaustive
>>> survey of news software, but I've never heard of a server that
>>> implements NEWNEWS but not GROUP, ARTICLE, etc.

>> For a pure suck feed using NEWNEWS, you need NEWNEWS, DATE and ARTICLE.
>> You might find a use for HEAD and BODY as well. But you would have no
>> use at all for GROUP, NEXT, POST, and indeed most other reader commands

>Once again, I have never heard of such a beast.  Do you have a pointer to
>such an implementation?

I use a program called 'nntpxfer', written by Brian Kantor (UCSD) and
bundled with Stan Barber's Model NNTP implementation (and much hacked
about by myself). I had awlays assumed that other systems using the
NEWNEWS command worked similarly.

Note, it uses a standard NNTP server, but only invokes those particular
commands. But one could envisage a server cut down and optimized just to
service that particular kind of client.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.