[NNTP] Extension snapshots 2

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 3 17:05:56 PST 2004

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

> http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-06pre2.txt

I believe we should not allow AUTHINFO both before and after MODE READER.
In other words, if you're going to send MODE READER, do it first before
you do anything else.  You can either not send it at all or send it as the
first thing you do, but you can't authenticate, use some transit commands,
and then send MODE READER to switch over to the reader server.

It's not clear to me what the utility of noting whether an extension is a
transit, reader, or general command, given that they have their own
capabilities.  Could someone remind me why that's needed?

> http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-03pre2.txt

I think that covers everything that needs to be said about MODE READER in
this one.

> http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-04pre2.txt

Same point here about MODE READER ordering as with authinfo.