[NNTP] Snapshot 4

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Dec 3 08:11:21 PST 2004

Russ Allbery said:
[Putting version number in the 101 initial response line]
> On the other hand, doing this (and keeping the 101 response code instead
> of using the regular LIST code) makes it a lot harder to use the same code
> as other LIST commands if we go back to LIST CAPABILITIES.

I really think this command is different enough that it doesn't belong with
LIST. After all, you could argue that *anything* that doesn't change state
should be a LIST command. NEWNEWS. DATE. HDR. OVER!

>> I agree that clients MUST NOT attribute any meaning to this, but this
>> info can be useful.  If the server returns this "capability" the client
>> can be fairly certain that its accurate and use it for reporting
>> bugs/problems against.  Although the same *might* be true about the
>> initial greeting text, its also possible that the greeting text just
>> says "good morning".
>
> But surely this wouldn't be done on an automated basis, and a human could
> look at the initial greeting as well.  Yes, a server could not advertise
> its implementation in the greeting, but in that case it probably wouldn't
> provide a SERVER capability either.

A client might well log the SERVER (now IMPLEMENTATION) capability line and
include it in automated error reports. It's far less likely to log the
comment field of the initial greeting.