[NNTP] Snapshot 4

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Dec 3 08:04:24 PST 2004

Ken Murchison said:
>> However, given Russ's concerns about the client making decisions on the
>> basis of this line, would "COMMENT" or "REMARK" be better?
>
> I think IMPLEMENTATION describes the kind of info that's
> desired/expected better than COMMENT or REMARK.

I was thinking of giving more freedom, so that the server operator can
provide other comments there (using more than one line, perhaps).

> As far as concern that a client would make decisions based on this:
>
> 1.  Why would it need to given the rest of the advertised capabilities?
> 2.  We can specifically state that the info is for informational
> purposes only and MUST not be used to determine a server's capabilities.

Current text:

    The server MAY include a line that begins with the token
    "IMPLEMENTATION" to provide information such as the server software
    name and version number. The client MUST NOT use this line to
    determine capabilities of the server.

> This being said, I'm not going to cry if this capability goes away.  I
> still think its a good idea and replicates something that has already
> been done in IMAP and POP and doesn't appear to have resulted in crappy
> clients.

Right. It's staying as far as I'm concerned.