[NNTP] Snapshot 4

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Dec 3 08:02:50 PST 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>CAPABILTIES:
>>
>>- May I suggest 'IMPLEMENTATION' instead of '_SERVER'.  POP3 uses the
>>former and seems to be a more descriptive name.
>

> No problem. Done.
>
> However, given Russ's concerns about the client making decisions on the
> basis of this line, would "COMMENT" or "REMARK" be better?

I think IMPLEMENTATION describes the kind of info that's
desired/expected better than COMMENT or REMARK.

As far as concern that a client would make decisions based on this:

1.  Why would it need to given the rest of the advertised capabilities?
2.  We can specifically state that the info is for informational
purposes only and MUST not be used to determine a server's capabilities.
3.  Such clients are poorly implementated and should/will be selected
for extinction.

This being said, I'm not going to cry if this capability goes away.  I
still think its a good idea and replicates something that has already
been done in IMAP and POP and doesn't appear to have resulted in crappy
clients.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127