[NNTP] Language for extensions and capabilities

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Dec 3 06:46:36 PST 2004

Ken Murchison said:
>> My text uses the term "capability" for the concept, "capability list" for
>> the output from CAPABILITIES, "capability line" for one line of that
>> output, and will use "capability name" for the keyword token (the one at
>> the start of the line at present, but see other threads).

That last should have been "capability label".

> -pre4 uses "extension-label" in 8.1, 10.4 and Appendix D, that's why I
> asked.  Are you planning on changing this text, or leave it as-is?  I'd
> like to use the same language in the extension drafts.

An extension-label will be a specific case of a capability label.
I haven't done the relevant rewriting yet, but I suspect that the term will
largely, if not completely, disappear. Certainly - to my mind - SASL will
be a capability label but not an extension label.